© 2010-2013 Valerie Acee ~ All Rights Reserved
The photographs on this website are the sole property of the photographer and may not be copied or reproduced in any manner without written consent.
Please ask for permission if you would like to use them.

Wednesday, December 18

December 18, 2013


So much to contemplate during these days of December - leading up to Christmas. 

I haven't posted much this fall (yes it is still fall) due to being layed off from my job in June and working hard to replace the much needed income.  God blessed me with a long term subbing position (and I am so very grateful to all the people who He used to help me secure this 9 month position). He also has helped me to renew my love of teaching piano lessons (I now have 13 students). So working a full time job and a part time job, being mom, wife and all that is included - has left very little time for my love of photography. I haven't picked up my camera in 3 months and it breaks my heart.

Morning is my awake time. I treasure the peace and quiet and the little bit of time I have to waste between 430 and 6 am.   Today I saw the words "God notices you smitten with this short life, feeling it slip through your fingers, trying to shake a snow globe Christmas out of every December."

The words kind of stopped me in my tracks (for the moment). How many times have I said "Joy is found in the journey ... not just the destination?"  These past few months have been a heck of a journey for me and my family.

My youngest is applying to colleges (such a pain in the neck I tell you!!) My second son is hoping to transfer to a different college as he has finally found a path to follow to prepare himself for a career. And my oldest (22) is back home again - as he continues to try and find himself ... well ... let's leave it at that.

I am literally  exhausted at the end of the day. Especially as the days are shorter and darkness creeps up on us at about 5pm. I find myself wanting to sleep by 7.  My husband and I went to the Buffalo Philharmonic Holiday Pops Concert last week. Our first date in I don't know how long ... and I practically slept thru the concert and did sleep all the way home in the car. What a great date I was!!

Anyway - before I keep rambling on - the point of this post ...

This is a challenging chapter in my life. Right now ... it is  a lot of 'work'
Instead of griping about it and worrying about what I haven't gotten done yet ... I want to focus on one step at a time. 

Yes my steps are loaded (like the snow covered ones above) and maybe yours are too. Today I get to take my youngest to a lesson at the Eastman School of music. He is thrilled and so am I. We will have and hour drive there and an hour drive home - to treasure the moments.

My oldest's car fell apart (again) - and we were able to help  get it fixed - praying he sees the need to be self sufficient and find a career. We won't always be here for him.

Traditions are wonderful - but if I don't get the cookies and fudge made, if I don't get the shopping done and all the other 'holiday stuff'  I am telling myself right now .... it is OK!

Stop stressing.   Find moments of each day to treasure and enjoy.  Don't let the traditions of the past - rob you of moments of joy - because ... you didn't get to it.

One step at a time ... and don't worry about what comes next. God has each one of us in the palm of His hand. And we need to stop jumping out - and trying to find our way. Just rest in Him - and allow Him to be the guide - and treasure the moments of His caring arms surrounding you and carrying you when you need it most.


3 comments:

Janice K said...


Life is always easy, but through it all, God blesses us and stretches us.

Wishing you a Blessed and Joyous Christmas and some precious moments of Peace.

Karin said...

It is OK - as life changes God gives new strength for each new day. May His joy, peace, love and mercy be sufficient for each day - even into the New Year - even enough to give away. Love that photo of the steps! What comes to mind though is that yesterday's 'snow' needs to be removed so He can lead us safely each step of the way. Have a blessed Christmas!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

life has a way of becoming complicated at times. I trust that some time off over Christmas will help you to feel a deep peace and to relax and enjoy each moment.